Correct Sitting Posture and the Dangers of Sitting!
Weekly Blog – Correct Sitting Posture and the Dangers of Sitting!
Living a sedentary lifestyle can be dangerous to your health with studies showing it can increase the risk of being overweight, developing type 2 diabetes or heart disease, depression and anxiety. Those who move around more during the day or stand at work have a lower risk of early death than our standard desk workers.
The Australian Health Survey (2011-12) results showed that 60% of Australian adults do less than the recommended 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise per day, with almost 70% of Australian’s being classed as sedentary or having low levels of physical activity
The good news is there are many ways of adding in incidental exercise and movement into your work day:
- Walk or cycle to work and leave the car at home
- For longer trips, park the car a reasonable distance from work or the train station and walk/cycle the rest of the way
- Get off a stop early on the train/tram/bus
- Take the stairs instead of taking the elevator
- Get up regularly (every 30 mins or so) to take a walk around the office, climb a couple of flights of stairs
- Organise walking meetings
- Take your lunch outside instead and enjoy a short walk on your lunch break