What is Naturopathy? – South East Naturopath Magda sheds some light
Following on from our previous blogs on Osteopathy and Myotherapy, our Naturopath Magda thought she’d shed some light on “What Is Naturopathy?”
So, what is Naturopathy?
Naturopathy is a holistic system of healing and takes all aspects of health into consideration including: physical health as well as emotional and mental health.
What are the Naturopathic Principles?
Many of the naturopathic philosophies are followed on by the medical philosophies of Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine. The naturopathic philosophies include:
- Doctor As Teacher – focusing on the importance of educating our patients and empowering them to take control of their health
- First Do No Harm – ensuring that safety is paramount and that we do not harm our patients. As naturopaths we always check for interactions between pharmaceutical medicines and our therapies and we do not use extreme methods of healing that may harm someone
- Recognising The Healing Power of Nature– as naturopaths we believe that when our body is given the right tools, it has the innate ability to self-heal. More on these tools below.
- Considering All Aspects in Someone’s Health Story– we take all aspects of health into consideration when we are assisting someone with their health journey. This includes physical health, mental and emotional health as well as social and environmental factors
- Identify The Root Cause Of Symptoms– when assisting with someone’s health concern we aim to get to the root cause of their presenting symptoms. Symptomatic treatment can be described as a band-aid approach to health, as the real issue causing those symptoms are not considered nor managed. Finding and focusing on the main cause can conclude in better management of health outcomes in the long term.
What treatment plan does a Naturopath provide?
The tools a naturopath may use include: dietary and lifestyle advice, herbal medicine (in the form of tinctures and teas) and nutritional medicine (in the form of nutritional supplements).
Most importantly, naturopathy maintains an individualised approach to health, meaning that no two people will receive the same treatment plan.
Want to know more?
Our naturopath Magda is ready to answer any questions you may have and assist with your health concerns. Simply phone the clinic on 9570 3388 or Book Online